Thursday May 4, 2017 at 1:00 p.m. Gayathri Srinivasan, IBM Business Development Executive, will be presenting “IEEE Toronto ComSoc: Watson IOT Platform Hands-On Workshop”.
Day & Time: Thursday May 4, 2017
1:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Speaker: Gayathri Srinivasan
Business Development Executive
IBM Watson Internet of Things Academic Initiative
Location: Galbraith Building, Room Number: GB202
University of Toronto, 35 St George St
Toronto, ON M5S 1A4
Contact: Eman Hammad
Organizers: IEEE Toronto ComSoc
Register: Register for free at https://events.vtools.ieee.org/m/44896
Abstract: The IEEE Toronto Section and University of Toronto – ECE are inviting all interested IEEE members and other engineers, technologists and students to our FIRST hands-on workshop: Watson IoT Platform hands-on.
1. Presentation: IoT Overview
2. IBM Bluemix overview
3. IoT Starter app using Watson IoT boilerplate on Bluemix
4. Work with simulated devices/sensors
5. Learn the basics of Node-Red application development environment
6. Learn to create dashboards
7. Real-time-insights: Use sensor value thresholds to determine actions and text alerts
8. Use Watson APIs (Watson text to speech & Language Translation) capabilities for the alert
9. Explore weather insights
10. Learn to add additional nodes to the node-red environment including dashboard
11. General Q&A
Biography: Gaya Magie is a Business Development Executive leading the IBM Watson Internet of Things Academic Initiative. Gaya collaborates with educational institutions world wide to help faculty and students build IoT skills leveraging IBM resources and platforms available for academia. Gaya has been with IBM since 2001 and has over 18 years of industry experience across various aspects of the business, including development, support, project management, product management, partner relations and sales. In 1996, Gaya received her Bachelor’s degree in Electronics and Communication Engineering from Madurai Kamaraj University in India. Gaya pursued her higher education in the US and in 1998, received a Master’s degree in Computer and Electrical Engineering from West Virginia University. As an IBM employee and continuing to pursue her higher education, Gaya received her Master’s in Business Administration in Global Management.