The Education Committee of the IEEE Toronto Section is offering a short course in “Electrical Power Substations- Planning, Design, Construction & Project Management” in April 2021 to develop an understanding of the practical applications of Power Substations Planning process, Design aspects, Substation Components, Construction practices, Commissioning & testing procedures and relevant Project Management techniques. This is the 2nd series after successful completion of earlier course delivered on “Power System Engineering, Operation and Management” to develop an overall understanding of power system engineering and technologies in the fields of generation, transmission and distribution.
What will you receive after completion: “Certificate of Completion” along with CEUs and PDH (After completing & passing a short exam and evaluation); Course Materials in electronic Format; Continuous support on career advice, resume building and skills development.
- Monday, April 26, 2021: 6.00 PM to 9.00 PM
- Tuesday, April 27, 2021: 6.00 PM to 9.00 PM
- Wednesday, April 28, 2021: 6.00 PM to 9.00 PM
- Thursday, April 29, 2021: 6.00 PM to 9.00 PM
- Friday, April 30, 2021: 6.00 PM to 9.00 PM
- Satish Saini, Topic: Opening & Overall Course Introduction & Course Chair)
- Hemant Barot, Topic: Electrical Power Substations- Planning, Design, Construction & Project Management
Location: Due to current COVID-19 restrictions- This course will be delivered On-Line (Virtual). Link and relevant details to join will be provided to all registered attendees / participants before the course.
Organizer(s): Education Committee, IEEE Toronto Section
Contact: Satish Saini
Register: Please visit https://events.vtools.ieee.org/m/261750 to register and for more information.
- Non-IEEE Members: $300 CAD + GST/HST
- IEEE Members: $250 CAD + GST/HST
- Day 1: Power system overview & segments; Ontario’s power system, supply mix & energy market
- Day 2: Power System Planning process & Design concepts
- Day 3: Power Sub-stations Components, layout & functionalities
- Day 4: Substations Bus Bar layout, configuration & categories
- Day 5: Electrical Substations construction, Project Management, actual case study & substations visuals (in place of site visit which has to be canceled due to COVID-19 restrictions)
- Course Test/Exam
Satish is a Licensed Professional Engineer registered with Professional Engineers Ontario with 35 years of accomplished management experience in various fields of energy and power. Electrical utility operations and management, business development and project management related to DS grid modernisation, renewable energy, smart metering / AMI, Advanced Distribution System (ADS) / Smart Grid, DSM and DMS. Actively participated in the development of various energy policies with ministries, regulatory authorities, utilities and local distribution companies. He is an active member of IEEE in various committees, Task Forces and Working Groups related to Smart Distribution, Smart Grid, MicroGrids and Smart Cities. Current Chair of IEEE Smart Grid Technical Activities Committee and Chair of Education Committee IEEE Toronto Section. Has a strong vision of developing the aging DS Grid with latest innovative technologies and solutions along with transforming utilities through smart grid programs
Hemant Barot has a PhD in Power System Operation & Planning and is a certified Professional Engineer licensed in the Province of Ontario Canada and a Project Management Professional. His diverse work experience includes working with Utility, Research and Academic Institutes and Original Power Equipment Manufacturers. His experience includes working as a Senior Engineer in Transmission system Planning, Project Planning and Estimation as well as roles in Project Management, Conceptual Engineering and Academics.